Baskets, boxes, and bowls

I thought it would be fun to share a few simple origami projects and ask – is there anything you'd like to see more of? I'm already preparing a tutorial for the baskets below for next week:

IMG_0059.JPG

These are from a Japanese book on children's origami I have and are pretty straightforward.

These star boxes are popular among children and are quite easy:

IMG_0020.JPG

if you tuck the ends under and secure them, they make pretty cool looking bowls:

IMG_0078.JPG

Origami for the home is my new favorite thing – here's another kind of bowl:

IMG_0029.JPG

and yet another which you may already know how to do – I know I learned this as a child growing up in the U.S.  It's one of those little things children make and write on to tell fortunes. Using pretty paper and turning it upside down makes a huge difference, doesn't it?

IMG_0053.JPG

Are you wondering what those little balls are? Those are snacks for babies and children – they melt in your mouth and are considered safe for little ones.  They're plain, but a bit sweet. The flowers are just little plum-flavored rice crackers.
I've also finally mastered tiny boxes, which are so much fun! There are lots of variations of those; here are 2 of my favorites. These here are very simple, classic boxes with a lid (I know they're a bit crooked!)
IMG_0007.JPG

and this one is sort of similar to the origami cube I showed you a few days ago:

IMG_0014.JPG

What I like about origami is that once you master a few basic folds and get a few projects under your belt, you begin to develop an intuitive sense for how other projects should go. You may even begin to develop the ability to create new projects of your own, although that hasn't quite happened to me yet. I love the feeling of doing multiple folds that seem to be going nowhere and then suddenly seeing it all fall into place at the end. I think that children learn a lot from experiencing that sort of magic.

Let me know what you'd like to learn how to do!

8 thoughts on “Baskets, boxes, and bowls

1. Laura

These are all so cute! I can’t wait for the directions! I’ve seen really pretty origami ornaments – sort of pointy balls, if that makes sense. They’re clearly made of many little pieces fitted together. I’d love to see directions for something like that.

2. OrigamiMommy

I know what you’re talking about, Laura – those are sort of popular here. They make great decorative items or mobiles and you are right, they’re made of many little pieces folded and then fitted together. Thanks for the suggestion! πŸ™‚

3. Michele at A House Called Nut

Those all look like such fun projects! I never would have thought of turning those little fortune-telling thingamajigs into tiny bowls. So sweet!
    I’d love to learn more about traditions, crafts etc. that you do for various holidays or at particular times of year. It would also be great to learn some of those recycled crafts that the kids do at school. Looking forward to it!

4. Antonia

I’d love to learn how to make the star bowls and the little one that looks like a flower. I love things that are useful and beautiful at the same time πŸ™‚

5. tiare

Some days ago I remembered when I was at school & i learned how to make origami stars, and last days i started making them again. Now I found your page! And I just made the little basket and Ii looks awesome & so cutee.. i Loved these things ’cause they’re simply, useful , very nice & cute
    And well, I’d like to learn how to make the star bowls, the one below and the boxes with lid too!! please haha :). I really loved the one made with the upside down thing that children use to tell fortunes. I already made it.
    Greetings from Chile!! πŸ™‚

6. tiare

I forgot it! if you already have the tutorials please let me know where are them ’cause i couldnt have find it yet